Close this search box.


What do I need to do if I am travelling?

Everyone has individual needs regarding travel, and it would be valuable to contact your Haemophilia Treatment Centre a few months before departure to plan ahead.

  • Talk to your Haemophilia Treatment Centre beforehand if you are travelling interstate or overseas. They can help you prepare depending on your individual situation. They can also advise on documentation, medication and travel insurance
  • Discuss with your Haemophilia Treatment Centre if you need to take treatment with you
  • You may not need them, but just in case, find out the contact details of Haemophilia Treatment Centres along your route
  • You will need to obtain travel insurance for overseas travel
  • Consider telling your travelling companions what to do to help you in case of an emergency
  • With airplane and overseas travel you may need further documentation to carry medication and treatment equipment through security and customs – talk to your Haemophilia Centre about this well in advance and allow plenty of time to prepare the documentation.

Do you have more questions about travel?
Click here for some comprehensive Travel Tips from Australian Haemophilia Treatment Centres

Questions about travel insurance?
CHOICE has a couple of helpful guides outlining what to consider, including extra cover for COVID-19:

Useful travel web sites:

Smarttraveller – Australian Government. Dept of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Australian Haemophilia Treatment Centres
World Federation of Hemophilia Global Treatment Centre Directory
Travelling with medicines and medical devices – Therapeutic Goods Administration
Australians Overseas – Australian Government. Dept of Human Services

Date last reviewed: 28 June 2023

Important Note: This information was developed by Haemophilia Foundation Australia for education and information purposes only and does not replace advice from a treating health professional. Always see your health care provider for assessment and advice about your individual health before taking action or relying on published information. This information may be printed or photocopied for educational purposes.

Skip to content